Menu Bar

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Reflections On Past and Future

2011 was a big year for me - I graduated from college, I got a grown-up person job, my brother Josh came home from his mission, my puppy Luke and my Papa passed away, I decided (for the time being) not to serve a mission and to work and get my Masters instead. I moved home, I met a lot of new people, and I didn't have a boyfriend for the second year in a row. I've learned a lot, changed somewhat, and grown up less than I probably should have.

And now there's 2012.

I have always been a fan of New Year's resolutions. Not the silly ones you make and try for a month then give up. I mean the ones you seriously commit to, the ones that really inspire you. I make resolutions all year round - I'm a very goal oriented person - but this year I'm going to make some that I can actually track. These resolutions will have actual numbers or tasks, rather than just vague ideas. Thats the key to success, right? And here they are:

New Year Resolutions

Photography 365 project - take a photo every day, trying to capture that day in that one shot, an post to my Flickr account weekly.

Read the Book of Mormon every day

Work out 4+ times a week and lose 15-20 pounds.

Read one or more NEW books each month (Tale of Two Cities at top of list)

Blog every day, alternating blogs - one day on my personal blog, one day on my movie review blog, and one day on my writing blog.

Write in journal every day (digital or hard copy - I think digital so I'll write in more detail)

Finish Spanish Rosetta Stone

Finish watching Lost (I need to be free of it!)

Write feature length screenplay and/or a novel - write for at least 15 minutes a day or 30 minutes every other day. Let people read my work and give feedback.

Well, those are the measurable ones. In writing those I realize that I have resolutions that are not so measurable, but perhaps even more important:

Patience with others.

Understanding where others come from and truly appreciating it.

More time with friends - quality time where I actually have a conversation and learn things about them.

Thinking about others more than I think about myself.

Mostly, just a general forgetting of myself and looking for ways I can help the people around me. I spend so much time developing my talents and worrying about my life that I don't do the things I could do for other people.

So there they are - my New Year resolutions. Here's to making them a reality!

1 comment: