Menu Bar

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Underwear

http://www.fox13now.com/videobeta/?watchId=aafc91c4-b191-4cc6-999c-c3ff20a03a71

So I just watched this video. My cousin and I were in downtown Salt Lake last night and saw people in their underwear but didn't know what was going on. I have several problems with this stunt. Firstly, I don't think things like this actually work. What does having thousands of people running around in their underwear actually do? Sure, it's fun for the people (I guess), which is fine. That's a fine reason to do something. I personally would never want to run around in my underwear in public like that. There has to be more intelligent and fully-clothed fun to be had. But the people with political messages on them? I think they got lost in the crowd of jiggling flesh.

My advice to those complaining about Utah being so uptight: go live in a different place. This city is full of conservative people. Sure, it's becoming less that way - more diversity - but it's still Utah. For those who want to make a political statement: contact your elected representative. That's what they're there for. Or, better yet, grow up and run for office yourself. Maybe some of the underwear clad have plans to do so. Or, as I suspect, maybe they're outwardly upset with the way things are but inwardly too apathetic to actually do something about it. I never thought I'd be the one to say this (having a severe case of Peter Pan syndrome), but just grow up! Some things, like running around in your underwear, are best left in childhood. But hey, at least they're out there doing something about politics, even if it is stupid and ineffective. It's better than people who sit at home and do nothing....I guess. At least they got a news story.

No comments:

Post a Comment