Menu Bar

Monday, December 14, 2009

Farewell Monk

I just watched the last episode of Monk....I'll be honest and say that I almost started crying towards the end. I love that show. It reminds me of so many good times with my family, especially my brother Josh. This last summer, before he left on his mission, I would be curled up in the love sac downstairs and Josh would come put in his favorite episodes of Monk for me. I'll always remember that. It's why when people say that things like movies or TV or music or even video games are just pointless entertainment I get defensive. Many of my familial relationships have been strengthened by things like watching Monk together. It gives us more common experience, something to discuss and take pleasure in together as a family. And if it's good entertainment, it is enlightening as well and can even reveal eternal truths.


As for the last episode of Monk itself, I think it ended very well. I won't give away anything that happened, just in case someone reads this who hasn't seen it yet. But I will say that all the loose ends were nicely tied up, and I found it very satisfying. It wasn't Monk's hardest or most surprising mystery, but it was his most meaningful. And I love looking at Monk in season one and then looking at him now. His character arc was fabulously crafted. That's what I like so much about the show. Monk is a wonderful character, surrounded by a cast of more wonderful characters. And that's what makes a good show a great show - the characters. Maybe the last episode wasn't some viewers' styles, but it perfectly fit me. Thanks Mr. Monk. It was a wonderful ride. :)

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the movies/entertainment strengthening relationships bit. I'll never forget listening to Josh quote hilarious movie lines on the way to the MTC, cool as the other side of the pillow. He had us all rollin...

    I only saw part of one episode of Monk, but I think I would like it. I'll give it a shot one of these days... Thanks for the take.

    ReplyDelete